Body has its own linings all over the internal as well as on external parts. This lining is skin, on the external level and on the internal level this is mucosal lining. Skin is harder and capable of handling the rashes and scars but not the mucosal lining of the body. Mucosal linings, which are exposed to the external environment, are two- mucosal lining in mouth and second one is in anus. These two causes problems with the body. Buccal cavity mucosal membrane might face the problems like ulcers and mucosal membrane in the colon and anal region can cause colitis and once these scars appear on anal ring this is known as Anal Fissure!
Anus is an important part as it controls the movements of the excreta from the body. Once the stool is excessively hard it leaves a scar on the ring and it causes this painful condition of anal fissure. Anal fissure is confused with the piles for a laymen and the main difference in piles and anal fissure is - the pain initiates just after passing the stool and if the cut is fresh there you can see a lining of the blood on the stool.
Anus is an important part as it controls the movements of the excreta from the body. Once the stool is excessively hard, this leaves a scar on the ring and it causes this painful condition of anal fissure. Anal fissure is confused with the piles for a laymen and the main difference in piles and anal fissure is- the pain initiates just after passing the stool and if the cut is fresh there you can see a lining of the blood on the stool.
According ayurveda this is a condition of Vata aggravation. Once Vata is aggravated, it brings dryness in the body which in turn dries up the stool. Once this stool is passed forcefully through the anus, this stool cuts the linings of the mucosal membrane on the anal ring. Passing the stool will bring immense irritation on the anal ring and this irritation can increase the pain too.
There is another condition in which Anal fissure can occur in the body and this is the shrinkage of the anal ring. Once this ring is tight to pass the stool, body exerts the maximum pressure on the ring to pass the stool and in this process there will be damage to this ring.
In this second condition, if we check the Dosha, it will be Vata again because this is the Vata Dosha which causes and brings constriction in the muscles.
Anal fissures are cracks or tears in the anus and anal canal. They may be acute or chronic. Anal fissures are caused primarily by trauma, but several non-traumatic diseases are associated with anal fissures and should be suspected if fissures occur in unusual locations. The primary symptom of anal fissures is pain during and following bowel movements. Bleeding, itching, and a malodorous discharge also may occur. Anal fissures are diagnosed and evaluated by visual inspection of the anus and anal canal. Endoscopy and, less commonly, gastrointestinal x-rays may be necessary.They affect men and women equally and both the young and the old. Fissures usually cause pain during bowel movements that often is severe. Anal fissure is the most common cause of rectal bleeding in infancy.
Anal fissures occur in the specialized tissue that lines the anus and anal canal, called anoderm. At a line just inside the anus; the skin (dermis) of the inner buttocks changes to anoderm. Unlike skin, anoderm has no hairs, sweat glands, or sebaceous (oil) glands and contains a larger number of somatic sensory nerves that sense light touch and pain. (The abundance of nerves explains why anal fissures are so painful.)
Symptoms of Anal Fissure:
- bowel movements.
- The pain following a bowel movement may be brief or long lasting; the pain usually subsides between bowel movements.
- The pain can be so severe that patients are unwilling to have a bowel movement, resulting in constipation and even fecal impaction. Constipation can result in the passage of a larger, harder stool that causes further trauma and makes the fissure worse.
- The pain can also affect urination by causing discomfort during urinating, frequent urination, or the inability to urinate.
- If acute they may cause severe periodic pain after defecation but with chronic fissures pain intensity is often less.
- Bleeding in small amounts, itching, and a malodorous discharge may occur due to the discharge of pus from the fissure. This blood is separate from the stool. Blood mixed with the stool indicates some other conditions (like colon cancer and inflammatory bowel disease).
- Anal fissures commonly bleed in infants.
In modern concept the physicians treated this disease through :
- Anesthetics / steroids
- Calcium channel blocker
- Surgical intervention
Where none of the above method of treatment neither address the root cause of the problem nor is completely safe. Ayurveda is more promising with the treatment of Anal Fissure and that too in a safe manner, without any side effect and along with this Ayurvedic Treatment for Anal Fissure provides complete cure with minimal chance of recurrence.
Physicians of Ayusya Clinic apply the uniqueness of ayurveda to the patients for permanent recovery from this problem in following manner :
- Healing of the wound: Pain, itching and uneasiness in the anal region are the main manifestations of the Anal fissure and these create a lot of uneasiness to a patient, so the first step is to relive someone from all these symptoms of the Anal fissure so that a patient can manage his life properly. For this main important thing is to heal the wound- the fissure- which is moreover a cut in the skin of the anal ring. Quick healing of this wound is hard because during defecation (passing of stool) it is again injured and it causes a lot of problems with a patient. This is the reason Ayurveda recommends to heal it with the best antibiotic, which is friendly to your body and never leaves any side effect on the body.
- Softening of the Stool : This is the second step, because improper bowel movements are the basic cause of the Anal Fissure. This might be frequent defecation or constipation, whenever there are problems with the digestive system, it causes a lot of problems with the anus and can cause anal fissure. In this the main part is the softening of the stool in this step, so that hard stool will stop hurting the anus skin and will not complicate the condition of the Anal Fissure.
- Proper Bowel Movements: These are the toxins in the system, which cause a lot of problems with the digestive system and until unless these toxins stay in the body these will keep on creating problems with the body- either anal fissure or some other conditions.
What is Kshara sutra?
Kshara is a kind of medication described in Ayurvedic Texts for the management of various disorders . The word Kshara is derived from the root Kshar, means to melt away or to perish. Acharya Sushruta defines as the material which destroys or cleans the excessive/the morbid doshas. According to the preparation we can consider it to be caustic materials, obtained from the ashes after distillation and are mostly alkaline in nature.
Kshara sutra therapy is a modified and standardized version of an Ancient treatment procedure, originally described by Ancient Indian Ayurveda Sages like Sushruta, Vagbhatta etc. for the treatment of Naadivrana (Sinus) & Bhangadara (Fistula in ano).
Kshara sutra is an Ayurvedic medicated thread which is prepared by smearing a special Linen thread with Ayurvedic drugs. It takes about one month to prepare it.
It is used for the treatment of anorectal diseases like; Bhagandara (Fistula in ano), Arshas (Piles/Hemorrhoids), Parikartika (Chronic fissure in ano), Pilonidal sinus, etc.